Thursday, April 15, 2010

Our Little BB























I don’t even know where to start—I guess March 9, 2001. I came home from work and there was a stuffed animal sitting on the end of my bed except it suddenly moved! Aaron had surprised me with a little white toy poodle. I can’t remember if we were talking about getting a dog or not.

I remember holding him and thinking “I’ll never love another dog like I did Toto”. I took 3 or 4 days off work since he had to be fed so often. My boss probably thought I was crazy. He was so small only weighing 1 pound when we got him. We named him BB because he seemed “as small as a BB”. I could type stories for days about him. My mom probably thought she’d never get grandchildren.

Annie followed 6 months later but she has never been a cuddly, playful dog like BB. He was plagued with medical problems from the start—bad joints, surgery for bladder stones, and finally this past fall he was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. We always joke that it was meant to be because if someone else besides a crazy dog person had picked him he’d never have made it. I’m glad I can say we spared no expense (aside from a heart transplant I guess) on medicines and special food. By Thanksgiving he was really going downhill and couldn’t even run to the mailbox. Three times I took him to the vet for Lasik injections to drain the fluid out of his lungs but even those stopped being effective.
On Tuesday, April 13 he just couldn’t hold on anymore and I took him to the vet at 7 a.m. Dr. Layton met me and since we were the only ones there I helped give him oxygen while she put in an IV. After a few hours he still had trouble breathing on his own and they told me it was time. The vet said he had probably had a stroke a few days earlier (He was holding his head sideways and being very uncoordinated).

He just wasn’t himself that last morning.

Even though he and Annie had a love/hate relationship (basically give me all your food or I’ll attack you) she does seem a little mopey. The house is extremely quite. I guess BB was actually the barking instigator!


BB, you were such a good boy. You were always so eager to please and just wanted to be cuddled in someone’s lap. We will miss you so much.

Special thanks to:

The Colony Animal Clinic and especially Drs. Wild and Holt who took care of him for so many years. Also, Dr. Layton was so wonderful on that last day. I know she did everything she could.

Toothacres who handled his remains with such respect and care.

Pam (& Mark), who came over so early that morning and sat with me while I cried and then watched the kids when I took BB to the vet. Also, for the many times of dogsitting which is no easy task with Annie & BB.

Clint and Tammy for all the dogsitting (who else would I trust except someone who has been through the almost exact situation) and comforting . I’m sure BB and Emmitt are having fun!

Thank you to everyone who loved BB.



The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.
For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.






















On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.
No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.
They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.
For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.
The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever, And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.



















No comments:

Post a Comment