Sunday, November 27, 2011

How the Grinch Almost Stole Christmas

I'm not sure if there is anyway to make this a short story ......

I was pretty excited about decorating for Christmas this year since it is the first year in our new house. I dragged down about 20 boxes of decorations from the attic and kept thinking "Where are the ornaments?". But then I would get busy again and figure I just hadn't gotten to those boxes yet.

Yesterday I had finally opened the last box and I started to panic. Where were all the ornaments? Then I started to cry. I knew they were not in the house. I had ornaments that were my grandparents from the 50's, ornaments I made as a kid, our first married Christmas ornaments, and then there were the ornaments from Connor and Charlotte's first Christmas'. Seriously, we had NO ornaments. Just an empty tree.

I realized there was only one place they could be and that was the attic of the rental house we had lived in for 4 months. By this time I was sobbing because our landlord had been SO AWFUL. I knew if I had left them she would have thrown everything away. I grabbed Charlotte and jumped in the car and headed over. I called my mom completely distraught and then she was crying too. We both prayed that whoever lived in the house now would at least be home.

I got to the house and went to the door. I did notice a wreath next to the door that looked slightly familiar but I didn't care about that. A lady opened the door and I started to tell her that I had lived there last Christmas and that's when I saw it. Right behind her on an entry way table was the light up ceramic Christmas tree that my grandma had made by hand over 30 years ago. I burst into tears and said, "That's my grandmas's tree!" Her response was strange. She just said, "Oh, do you want it back?" I was crying so hard at this point and trying to say "Yes! I want it". She said she had found it in the alley which seemed strange. If I had left all my Christmas stuff in the attic and the landlord had thrown it in the alley why would someone take all the ornaments but leave this beautiful 2 foot tree to be found by this lady? I was so upset I didn't really have time to think about it. I asked her if she had found any boxes of ornaments in the attic and she said she never goes up there.

I walked to the car crying carrying Charlotte and my tree. I was just so grateful to at least have one thing back. Then I decided I was going to knock on every door on that street and put out a reward for my ornaments (even though it was freezing cold and I had run out without putting a coat, socks, or shoes on my child. Poor thing.) As I got back out of my car the lady came outside to smoke. I walked up to her and told her what I was about to do and said I wanted to leave my name and number in case she heard anything. Then she said, "I just got off the phone with my husband and he said there is a bunch of stuff in the attic like a backpack and camping gear." I'm thinking, "Yes, that's mine! I used to backpack in high school! The backpack is turquoise!"

She said I could climb up there and look. I couldn't believe when I got to the top of the ladder and realized we had NEVER EMPTIED THE ATTIC AT ALL!!! My camping gear, yearbooks, some Thanksgiving decorations, high school diploma and scrapbooks were all there.......and hiding behind one huge box were all my ornaments. I started crying again! I must have made 10 trips up and down that ladder. I felt like an idiot but we were both so stressed out during our move because of the landlord threatening us that we just left as soon as our house was ready and forgot about the attic.

I feel bad that Charlotte was crying, "Mommy! Mommy!" the whole time. I had to leave her below in the garage sitting on a lawn chair with these two women she didn't know. I was up and down the ladder the whole time but I think she thought I was leaving her. I kept telling the ladies thank you and how grateful I was and gave them both hugs. I was so relieved.

I should mention at this point that there was one very large box up there that was completely empty.

When I got home and Aaron and I unloaded everything and sorted through the boxes my relief was crushed when I realized there was still one thing missing....my grandparents (mom's) manger. It was quite large. Almost 2 feet tall. I felt awful that I hadn't missed it until now. It was made out of very rough wood some with the bark still on. The figures were handpainted the most beautiful colors. They used to be glued in place but as a kid I had pulled them off so I could play with Mary and Joseph. It's hard to see but if you look in the background of the picture you can see it on our old fireplace. It really was one of my most valued possessions.


I was so disappointed. I knew the lady had to have it because I remembered it had been packed in the same box as the ceramic tree. The one that was now empty in her attic. But I also knew I couldn't just say, "Hey, I know you also have my manger." So I devised a plan. It would employ extreme kindness and the sweet demeanor of my young son. Yes, I used my kid.

After church today we went to Target and bought cookies and flowers. I told Connor we were going on a mission and explained exactly what to say. I should mention that he didn't know she had the manger. He still just thinks we were going to say thank you for finding our stuff. I didn't want to corrupt him too much.

I prayed all the way that she would be home and she was. We rang the doorbell and she seemed a little surprised to see me again. So I started the plan. I told her we just came by to say how thankful we were for returning our things and how nice it was to know that there were still honest people in the world. I gave her the cookies and a thank you card. Connor handed her the flowers and in the sweetest voice said, "Thank you for finding my Christmas train." At this point I did notice that on the table where my ceramic tree had been was now another one of my small Christmas trees (Aha! So she had been in the attic) but I didn't say anything since I had bigger things to worry about. I also invited her to our church and said we had a great Christmas Eve service if they didn't have plans to go anywhere else. I conveniently happened to have a brochure with me.

Then I casually said, "Oh, by the way, there is one more thing I'm missing. It is the most beautiful manger. My grandparents left it to me. I used to play with it as a little girl. You know there was one big box in the attic that I thought it was yours but now I'm thinking maybe it was mine and it could be in there." I had to give her an out and way to save face even though I was quite sure it was probably sitting in her living room. Just then her husband walked up but I didn't want to put her on the spot since I was hoping she would give it up using the "overlooked box in the attic" excuse. I said, "I don't want to bother you anymore but when you get a chance could your husband go check that box? I really think that's where it could be." I could tell she was uncomfortable and she said that they were about to eat but she would be more than happy to call me tomorrow and let me know if they found anything. I know she feels guilty because as I was walking away she pointed to the wreath near the door and said, "I found that in the attic too." I told her I thought it looked familiar but that it looked great where she had hung it and she should keep it. And I left.

So, here I sit, wondering if she will take the easy out I created. I really feel like she will but who knows. Honestly, she did me a favor. If she had called the landlord and said a bunch of stuff had been left in the attic I know it would have been thrown away. Whether I get it back or not I am at peace with it. Maybe she just really needs a manger. I did jokingly tell my mom that if she doesn't give it back she will be the one who has to look at a stolen Mary and baby Jesus every Christmas.

I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. Kim, I hope you get them back. My mom has an antique, Italian, handmade nativity scene kind of like that. With the rough wood manger and handpainted people. I haven't seen it in years, but I'll always love it. Maybe when Brock is older, I can ask for it since I don't think my mom ever puts it up anymore.

    ReplyDelete