Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My Plant Project

I am so excited about this--which tells you how much excitement I have in my life. We have several completely shady spots in our yard that I have always struggled with the grass. I've tried starting from seed and had some luck but that is a ton of work because of the amount of watering needed to germinate. Plus keeping away the birds is an issue. Then I decided to try to plant shade tolerant flowers but the area is so large it is cost prohibitive. SO, I bought some $1 packets of perrenials and am starting them in the kitchen (mom's idea) and then I can move them around to different levels of shadiness and see how they do while still in the pots.

Even better, I have 4 bags of grass seed in the garage and I suddenly thought "Hey! Why don't I grow my own pallets of sod and then transfer once they get going". I can keep them right near the back door so they're easy to keep watered and the birds won't get them. Plus, I can move them around and see how they do in different amounts of light too. I put the soil in pallets from cases of soda. Yes, I realize this is going to be tedious but I think the chances of them actually taking are much higher. Man, I can't wait to start my science project. I know I'm such a nerd. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment